Not working. Not in Windows Programs

MV
Mike Vincent ID: 6563809 Posts: 3
10 Sep 2019 07:56 PM

I downloaded and installed a default program install file that popped up after opening an account. There is an account window that pops up when I click the account from website but no program is in the control panel nor on the task bar anywhere.

Clicking on the Charity Engine file in C drive shows the program folder with the application inside but says the file was incomplete or corrupt if the  application file is clicked on.

I went back to the web page and clicked on the charityengine logo opens a window with a Tool Box. Clicking on the Ad Computer tab opens the download page where an install download pops up. I click on Windows OS and another install dowload pops up overtop of the default download box.

I clicked on that download and there was a pop up to tell me the program was already downloaded and asked if I wanted to download it again.

I clicked yes. Downloaded and selected that file for install. Went throught the install wizard again but still no sign of the program other than the folder and files on C drive.

I'd like to remove the folder if the program isn't going to function but don't want to delete it only to find it took a critical Windows component with it. How do I savely remove the folder and related files?

Update

As I've been writing I've tried to look at the application again and it seems to be in the programs section of the task bar but the Desktop reads Unable to Connect to the Core Client and that the Core Client has Shutdown several times. The file program still doesn't show in the Programs in Control Panel.

So it doesn't seem to be working for anyones benefit and clean uninstall instructions would be appreciated.

Tristan Olive ID: 22 Posts: 383
11 Sep 2019 02:25 AM

Mike, you can find instructions here on Uninstalling Charity Engine. It sounds like you'll need the simple uninstall followed by the complete uninstall. If you are able to uninstall from the Control Panel and then also remove the data folder for the complete uninstall, I think you'll have a good chance of getting it to work by starting fresh with a new download. 

It's good that you see it running in the task bar, but not good that the core client isn't running properly, so hopefully clearing everything out and reinstalling will fix that.

Thanks for your interest in Charity Engine -- we definitely don't want it to give you any trouble in getting started and are here to help how we can!

MV
11 Sep 2019 03:25 PM

As odd as it might be the program shows in the task bar when it is opened from the Programs folder on C drive but will not show up in the Programs and Features of Control Panel.

I did a Windows update today that required a restart but that didn't change anything in reguard to the Charity Engine program.

This is the forth time the computer has done a restart. Two were from shut down after the system was manually forced to shut down after the two attempts to install the Charity Engine froze the system during initial start of the Charity Engine Desktop after install.

The unistall can't be done as per the usual Control Panel removal due to it not appearing there.

I can't see any uninstall file in the main folder, like the MAC version says it has, if I would have if I'd gotten that version by mistake.

So it seems I'm stuck so far with this program that is installed to the point of manually being able to run it, so it must have attached to windows files of some sort, but can't be removed safely due to not being available for selection in Control Panel for uninstall.

My computer is a 5 year old laptop, only used daily for the last year, running " Win8.1 on an i7-4702MQ @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz, 8GB RAM, 64bit system 64bit processor."

11 Sep 2019 05:53 PM

Well that complicates things a little bit, but I think what you can do is try deleting the following folders yourself and then try to download and run the installer again.

This won't remove any critical Windows system files, so is completely safe to do. You will have to be sure to close Charity Engine Desktop first, or it won't be able to delete all of the files. You can do this by opening it up from the system tray and then selecting exit from the File menu. So the process looks like:

1. Open Charity Engine Desktop and select from the menu: File -> Exit Charity Engine (and be sure to check the box to "Stop running tasks", when asked).
  2. Open Windows Explorer and delete C:\Program Files\BOINC
  3. Also delete C:\ProgramData\BOINC (which may be hidden, but you can type it into the address bar in Windows Explorer)
  4. Click "Add Computer" in the Toolbox on your home page here at charityengine.com to download the installer again
  5. Run the installer once the download is complete

After installation, Charity Engine Desktop should start up automatically. You should also see Charity Engine in the Programs and Features section of Control Panel, as you'd expect.

Hopefully this redo will clear out any corrupted files and get it running properly for you! If not, there are other things we can try to get to the bottom of the issue.

MV
12 Sep 2019 07:38 PM

I'm not clever enough  to find a way to add the saved screen grab JPG, nor the file pasted into a "Word" type doc and placed in the "Post" box ( the screen grab cut and pasted from the word editing program shows in the box, but doesn't show when the post transfers to this page).

These C:\ProgramData\BOINC files, and the actual files inside the folders "Projects", "Slots" dated 2019-09-10, that Windows Explorer shows as results, have dates 2017-2018.

The 2 Folders contain a "text file" called Placeholder that was created in 2017

Would these be BOINC file creation dates, or creation dates on my PC.

Does it seem right to delete them?

13 Sep 2019 01:53 AM

Those are dates the files were originally created in the program. They were only just put on your PC this week. You can definitely delete them without consequence and they will find their way right back onto your computer if you run the installer again. There shouldn't be anything in either of those BOINC folders that you will miss.