How do I increase my project share for Charity Engine?

PH
Peter Hucker ID: 8301070 Posts: 14
02 Mar 2023 10:27 AM

I run many Boinc projects already.  I attached to Charity Engine using your account manager, but it's set the share for your project to 500.  This is substantially lower than my other projects so will hardly ever get work.  I can't find where I can increase this.

Tristan Olive ID: 22 Posts: 383
03 Mar 2023 07:42 PM

Charity Engine is designed as more of a "white glove" approach to distributed computing. On the host level, it isn't as efficient or effective as each individual tailoring their resources to fit a specific workload that they are passionate to support. The vast majority of volunteers, however, just install it and let it run with default settings. So we try to allocate these resources in a way that maximizes charitable contributions while minimizing the effect on user devices (electricity cost, fan noise, system usability). This also means leaving some capacity unused so that it is ready to go when jobs are submitted to the grid. 

Understandably, this is not the most rewarding for volunteers who know how to configure the client software to make better use of what they are willing to give. It's just a trade off to meet computational needs and to better serve the greater volunteer pool.

03 Mar 2023 07:44 PM

(All that to say, you can't change the CE resource share; you can only adjust any other projects that you have attached manually relative to that setting of 500).

PH
03 Mar 2023 07:50 PM

I tried doing that.  For example I set Rosetta to 100.  Then I find it's been altered to 20.  As soon as I removed the Charity Engine manager from Boinc, it went back to 100 again.

When Charity Engine gives me a Rosetta task, does it show up as Rosetta or Charity Engine on my list of running tasks?

03 Mar 2023 07:57 PM

If Rosetta is attached by the Charity Engine account manager, then Charity Engine controls its resource share. If you attach your client software to Rosetta manually using your own account credentials that you create at Rosetta, then you control its preferences. However, any projects that you attach yourself are not part of your Charity Engine account, and thus do not contribute toward the prize drawing.

No matter how you attach to Rosetta, tasks from Rosetta will show up in the list as Rosetta tasks. The only difference will be in the user name under which they run. If it is your own Rosetta account, it will have the name you provided. If it is a CE account, it will have a "ce" prefix, followed by a number.

PH
03 Mar 2023 08:20 PM

Not sure how that happened then.  I had Rosetta already attached, then I added the Charity Engine manager, and I later spotted the resource share had changed.  Removing the manager immediately returned the share to the previous value.

I've used other managers like BAM before, and they take over the resource share allocation, even on a project which was already attached.  It's handy if you want to adjust stuff remotely for a large number of computers.  So I assume Charity Engine works in the same way.

PH
04 Mar 2023 02:03 AM

You say "while minimizing the effect on user devices (electricity cost, fan noise, system usability)" - how do you do that with GPUs?