Rosetta Ignores Disk Usage Settings

Graham Jenkins ID: 1626 Posts: 160
28 Dec 2021 09:26 AM

Rosetta seems to be ignoring the 20GB limit I've set, as shown in the attachments. In consequence, the relevant filesystem eventually becomes 100% full and everything stops. Is there a way I can stop this from happening? Or should I just disable Rosetta and allow LHC tasks instead?

Tristan Olive ID: 22 Posts: 383
29 Dec 2021 10:25 PM

Is it possible that the Rosetta data was downloaded before you changed the disk usage settings, and now those files are just stuck there wasting storage space? Under normal circumstances, you'd get a notice in BOINC if a task requires more disk space than is available, e.g. "Rosetta needs 25GB of disk space, but only 20GB is available." You could try manually removing Rosetta data under ProgramData/BOINC/projects/ to see if that helps, but if it is ignoring preferences, I suppose it would just download it all again.

Which version of BOINC are you running? And do you have a separate disk partition for BOINC data, or is it on the primary / C drive?

29 Dec 2021 11:52 PM

No, all Rosetta data was cleared (along with everything else) when the (Linux root) disk filled up, and I had to do a "Sychronise with Charity Engine" to get new jobs.

Since then I've had to do a "Reset Project" to clear all Rosetta data when the disk is about to fill.

I'm using version 7.16.6 (x64) on Ubuntu 20.04.03 LTS (package 7.16.6+dfsg-1). It doesn't offer any option about where data should be stored.

29 Dec 2021 11:54 PM

Oh .. and I occasionally get a notice like: "Rosetta needs 25GB of disk space, but only 20GB is available." But sometimes I don't, and that's when the issue arises.

08 Feb 2022 09:00 AM

That problem seems to have gone away since I just set the Disk Usage to "Leave at Least 7GB Free" and left the other Disk Usage options empty. But now I have another issue with Rosetta.

The project goes away for a while, then it comes back and one or two new Rosetta tasks start, then go away apparently before completion, with no points shown.

And sometimes the tasks download, then the whole project evaporates completely as shown in the screenshot. So what's happening here?

09 Feb 2022 11:15 PM

We made a general change to restrict attachment to Rosetta when there are disk space issues, as it was getting pretty widespread. It sounds like your computer might have been caught in the middle of some of those changes, if it was attaching and detaching multiple times. 

That being said, do you think we should continue to attach Rosetta for users who opt-in as beta testers? That would give you the freedom to adjust your disk usage settings, as you have already, to fix the errors preventing Rosetta from working.

10 Feb 2022 12:21 AM

Well .. the only other Projects I'm seeing are NumberFields and LHC, and if Rosetta isn't available you might need to (by default) allow new tasks for LHC. Or are there other Projects which could replace Rosetta?

10 Feb 2022 04:45 PM

We can try LHC again to see if any issues have been worked out. If you sync with CE, it should allow new tasks now.

13 Feb 2022 12:35 PM

There's still a problem with Rosetta. The computer has been suspended for 7.5 hours, then when it's un-suspended a Charity task starts and resets the entire Rosetta project, terminating a half-completed Rosetta task.

14 Feb 2022 04:56 AM

Today .. two Rosetta jobs running, each 7% done with 7 hours to go and a few days to deadline. Did a "Sync with CE" .. and they both vanished completely. Entire project gone, no longer any record in Statistics of Rosetta jobs completed earlier in the day.

So what's CE doing with this project? :(

15 Feb 2022 05:08 PM

Ok, we found a bug in the Rosetta attachment logic that could lead to this condition in certain cases when syncing with CE. Next time you sync, Rosetta should attach and also stay attached in subsequent syncs!

Thanks for your detailed reporting on this, Graham. That helped significantly in finding the issue.