I added charity as a project in Boinc and Point not showing

M
Michel Gaudet ID: 6751191 Posts: 11
22 Sep 2020 07:23 PM

Since 16 sep I added charity as a project in Boinc manager, not in CE and Point not showing

Matt ID: 44 Posts: 293
22 Sep 2020 07:28 PM

CE is not a BOINC project.  To use CE via a BOINC client, try "attach to account manager" (rather than via "attach to project")

(*But: detach from CE as a project first, if you did that in any fashion.)

M
22 Sep 2020 07:38 PM

And what does the account manager do?

22 Sep 2020 08:04 PM

Using Charity Engine as an "Account Manager" will automatically attach/detach your device to various sources of computing work, and keep track of your CE-specific computing credits. 

(*Note that any BOINC projects which you've joined manually via your BOINC client will persist while using Charity Engine; and you can always add/edit those manual selections.  But: particpation in these "non-CE" projects will reduce your CE contributions, as there's only so much computing to go around.  -- So it's up to you to select the balance of CE-related computations vs your BOINC computations, by use of "Resource Share" settings in your desktop software. 

(*You can detach from CE at any time.)

M
22 Sep 2020 08:12 PM

You should put all of this information in your wiki for those they want to use charity with Boinc menager. And specify that you must put https://www.charityengine.com/ as url for account manager.

M
22 Sep 2020 09:03 PM

what charity project

22 Sep 2020 09:14 PM

Thanks, Michel.  (*Not sure I understand that last question?)

22 Sep 2020 09:14 PM

Thanks, Michel.  (*Not sure I understand that last question?)

M
22 Sep 2020 09:34 PM

What CE project participate ... you participat at Rossata, Cosmology, LHC and .... 

M
22 Sep 2020 10:08 PM

In your Welcome BOINC Users! wiki

you should specify Charity Engine account manager instead of Charity Engine only, it confuses whit the CE program.

And instead You can disconnect from one or more of your previous BOINC projects

You can remove one or more of your previous BOINC projects of your boinc manager

from this list ....

and let Charity Engine re-attach you to these. ... etc...

M
22 Sep 2020 10:35 PM

I have several Boinc instances on my computer

http://www.zpag.net/Boinc/boinc_config.htm

I dedicate one of those to Charity but i need the list of projet CE participate

thank you

Mark McA ID: 179 Posts: 224
23 Sep 2020 04:09 AM

Hi Michel,

CE exists to run commercial work and share revenues with charities and prize draws. However, we do also donate free computing as a "science grant" to various cool projects (a live stats page for that is coming soon).

Currently supported BOINC Projects (NB. Not every PC gets work from every project, and we support other things also):

Amicable Numbers

Asteroids@home

Citizen Science Grid

Collatz Conjecture

Cosmology@home

Einstein@home

LHC@home

Milkyway@home

Moo! Wrapper

NFS@home

NumberFields@home

ODLK1

PrimeGrid

Rosetta@home

SRBase

TN-Grid

Universe@home

World Community Grid

YAFU

Yoyo@home

Retired projects (some have stopped, some have enough computing):

SETI@home

Sourcefinder

Enigma@home/M4

Distributed Hardware Evolution Project

POGS

VGTU@home

FightMalaria@Home

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Mark

M
26 Sep 2020 10:18 PM

If we install Charity Engine account manager, we lose a large part of the project control in Boinc menager.

I have projects in my account not for Charity Engine, like rosetta and cosmology which I put in No new work and Charity Engine account manager puts them back into new work. !!!!!

27 Sep 2020 01:41 PM

The general idea is that if you use Charity Engine you keep the same control as before on the projects you added manually (or: which you add manually in the future).  But Charity Engine will add new ones, which are managed by Charity Engine.

In some cases, Charity Engine might add a project you're already running (though under a new account, so we can credit your account with the work contributed).   For instance, we have lots of devices running Rosetta now, to support their COVID-19 research.