Projeсts

P
PolGord ID: 6569103 Posts: 6
10 Feb 2020 07:20 PM

How to delete a project?. The "delete" button is inactive.

Tristan Olive ID: 22 Posts: 383
10 Feb 2020 09:34 PM

Charity Engine takes more of an automated approach to project account management than you may be used to seeing, if you have been a user of BOINC before. Projects are attached or detached automatically as needed in order to ensure charitable work is available for most devices, rather than users being required to manage their own workloads. This can be undesireable for users who like to do this management work!

You are able to add projects on your own using the Charity Engine software, though understand that this is technically separate from your Charity Engine account, so the points won't count toward the jackpot in that case.

All of that being said, if you want to share, we'd be interested in hearing any reasons you have for wanting to detach from a project and also any recommendations about other projects you'd like to support! We're always open to new ideas on putting the grid to good use.

P
12 Feb 2020 07:33 PM

I have launched several different projects in Charity Engine and some I want to delete, but I can’t(

12 Feb 2020 08:08 PM

The ones that cannot be deleted are likely the ones that Charity Engine attached automatically. Those are managed by Charity Engine and are the ones that count toward the jackpot drawing. Which are the ones you are trying to delete, but can't?

Any project that you attached manually should be able to be deleted.

P
12 Feb 2020 08:15 PM

12 Feb 2020 08:25 PM

Yes, these three additional projects are attached by Charity Engine. They are scientific research projects that are supported as part of the volunteer computing community. Which specific projects are supported can change from time to time, so you may see any of these three disappear and be replaced by others, but all contributions made to them will count toward the current jackpot drawing.

P
12 Feb 2020 08:26 PM

Oк. Thanks)

DocH ID: 526372 Posts: 77
24 Feb 2020 12:49 AM

RE:  "We're always open to new ideas on putting the grid to good use."  , how about another Anti-Malaria Project!!

I recall reading that "A Child dies every minute from malaria in Africa where it is estimated that 9 out of 10 malaria deaths occur."

WHO web Page=  https://www.afro.who.int/news/child-dies-every-minute-malaria-africa

Having had Malaria Myself back in the late 70's-early 80's as a teenager, I can tell You that it IS a most painful disease as well.

Somehow, let's put CE back to work in The Fight against Malaria!!!!!!!

Ed

25 Feb 2020 04:27 PM

Rosetta has some involvement in the fight against malaria, though I'm not sure that is a recent focus. We do also have some resources allocated to World Community Grid, which has a GO Fight Against Malaria project. We could look into expanding support there in the not-too-distant future. Thanks for the suggestion, Ed!

AR
Adam Radocz ID: 22746 Posts: 74
25 Feb 2020 05:40 PM

The GO Fight Against Malaria has been ended in 2013.

BTW I'm not seeing the WCG in the projects list. How many people got this project? Can I opt-in?

02 Mar 2020 05:16 PM

Well, so much for that idea... I'm not aware of any active malaria projects, then. Ed, if you come across any, we'll see what we can do.

As for WCG, quite a few were attached to that for a period, but it's only maybe a couple thousand now. We don't currently have a way to opt-in for anything outside of the "beta tester" option in your account, which only sees the ocassional beta feature. That is an interesting thought, though, if we can fit such a user preference into the overall framework.

AR
Adam Radocz ID: 22746 Posts: 74
02 Mar 2020 06:08 PM

What's the logic behind that only a few users attached to certain projects and not everyone? Boinc handles the compatibility anyway.

DocH ID: 526372 Posts: 77
03 Mar 2020 01:29 AM

Thanks Tristan and Adam!

I remember way back in 2001-2002 participating in a Distributed Computing Project that was helping in the fight against anthrax. If I recall right, the contribution of computing time Reall cut down the time needed to find more effective tools against anthrax!

I Think it was World Computing Grid that I participated in....

Below from :  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta@home

" Another component of Rosetta, RosettaDock,[34][35][36] was used in conjunction with experimental methods to model interactions between three proteins—lethal factor (LF), edema factor (EF) and protective antigen (PA)—that make up anthrax toxin. The computer model accurately predicted docking between LF and PA, helping to establish which domains of the respective proteins are involved in the LF–PA complex. This insight was eventually used in research resulting in improved anthrax vaccines.[37][38]"

05 Mar 2020 06:03 PM

Adam, we find that many hosts have limited availability to work on tasks, so it has been helpful when they are focused on a limited set of projects. This could be managed similarly via resource share instead, but it results in quite a lot of user accounts created at projects that see relatively little output. So it reduces the burden on them if we manage the attachment process with this kind of intention.

Ed, 2002 is going back before World Community Grid existed, even! It very well might have been Rosetta, as you note. It's all very interesting. The more readily-available computing becomes, we could see resources applied in response to the latest viral outbreaks to determine likely ways to counteract them. It sure could be a useful defense in such a fight!