No work units for charity engine?

RM
Ross Munro ID: 6563181 Posts: 5
11 Sep 2019 01:09 AM

I've recently set up for linux. I have the boinc manager running (for the last 2 days) and Charity Engine is the only project listed in the "Projects" tab. So far I have received no work. My stats are showing 0% for all headings. Is this normal? Or have I missed a step in the set up.

Tristan Olive ID: 22 Posts: 383
11 Sep 2019 02:05 AM

This is normal. It does seem a bit odd for new Linux users, though, now that you mention it. Normally, new users are only attached to the Charity Engine project for the first 3 days (this significantly cuts down on turnover for the other projects). There currently aren't any jobs for Linux on the Charity Engine project, so that leaves you sitting there with nothing...

So let me say I'm glad to see some new Linux users! We'll have to see what we can do to improve the experience during the first few days, and otherwise you should start seeing some work head your way once you hit day 3.

RM
11 Sep 2019 04:14 AM

Thanks for the clarification. Happy to wait haha.

RM
04 Oct 2019 01:23 AM

Just a bump to say that I haven't had work for the last 3 days? 'Charity Engine' and 'Fight Neglected Diseases' are both listed as projects but the Tasks tab remains stubbornly empty. I periodically check in and hit 'Update" and even 'Reset Project' but nothing happens.

Tristan Olive ID: 22 Posts: 383
07 Oct 2019 04:33 PM

You have work for other projects and are earning points there, so no need to worry about these two. They will send work when it is available, which is not always the case (especially in this case on Linux, as there are no Linux jobs currently).

(Or are you saying you did have work, but those other projects have stopped, too?)

RM
07 Oct 2019 11:47 PM

Thanks for responding. At the time of posting there were no jobs from any source. CE and FND were the only projects listed. Checking in today CE and FND are no longer there, but others are and tasks have been allocated again. Also, I'm not sure how Linux is relevant. What do you mean by a "Linux" job?

JB
Jacob Bang ID: 6563093 Posts: 3
08 Oct 2019 06:07 AM

The projects you are running needs to have executables that are compatibel with the operating system (and CPU architecture) runnning underneath. The Charity Engine project does not have any Linux binaries right now so Linux servers will not get any jobs from the Charity Engine project itself. But it will still gets jobs from e.g. Rosetta because this project have Linux versions of the executables they want you machine to run.

Im Martian ID: 6567001 Posts: 1
30 Oct 2019 10:08 AM

> I'm not sure how Linux is relevant. What do you mean by a "Linux" job?

I have the same question, but let's see what it deveops from customers end. Jacob's answer gave me some clues, but aren't there docker containers to iron such limits?.

Anyhow, CE is a brilliant idea that should be marketed more to different communities hungry for computing resources. 

JB
Jacob Bang ID: 6563093 Posts: 3
30 Oct 2019 10:29 AM

but aren't there docker containers to iron such limits?.

VirtualBox are used by some projects to solve the problem with running on different OS'es. But not all projects are using VirtualBox images (e.g. the CharityEngine project itself and Rosetta@home). VirtualBox images does also have some overhead and its own problems.

Docker is some kind of solution but it is only recently that Docker are useful for running on Windows (I don't know if it works in all scenarios yet) and since a lot of the projects on BOINC are old, they have yet to move to another platform. Also, Docker for Windows are properly requirering that users are using a recently version of Windows 10.

Also, Docker (and VirtualBox) does not change the fact that problems should still be designed for the CPU architecture that the user are using. But most users are using modern x86_64 CPU so it is less of a problem.