No More Prize Money

Mark McA ID: 179 Posts: 224
27 Sep 2019 08:08 PM

ADMIN UPDATE / CLARIFICATION

Hey guys, the Prize Draws have never stopped. We did float the idea of dropping them but decided not to. They continue as they always have.

Please note this thread is several months old!

Cheers,

Mark 

Graham Jenkins ID: 1626 Posts: 160
30 Jan 2019 01:01 AM

I was dismayed to learn today that there will be no more prize money, and that the fruits of our efforts will henceforth go to charity.

Many of us were playing this game in the hope that we might one day win a prize which we could use to help cover the electricity and other costs which we have incurred.

Are you now able to reconsider, or should we look (where?) for another Account Manager?

AR
Adam Radocz ID: 22746 Posts: 74
30 Jan 2019 08:19 AM

Does it mean that the charities get double money from now?

31 Jan 2019 12:01 AM

Hi Graham,

There will still be random prizes for users, just not as regularly.

The usual prize draws will now pay out to charities of the winners' choosing, as we are finding that nearly all new users prefer to just compute for charity anyway, rather than register for the draws.

We're also extending the current system to one more draw as well. Best of luck!

Cheers,

Mark

AR
Adam Radocz ID: 22746 Posts: 74
31 Jan 2019 02:42 PM

I think it would be the coolest, and personally, I prefer the most if the price draw remained and the winner also could decide which charity gets the money.

DocH ID: 526372 Posts: 77
07 Apr 2019 02:49 AM

"The usual prize draws will now pay out to charities of the winners' choosing, as we are finding that nearly all new users prefer to just compute for charity anyway, rather than register for the draws."

But, Please continue to let the prize winners make the choice!!

I really am kind of disappointed that the system is changing as the possibillity of a Every Month possibility of winning a prize of decent size seemed to be a real motivator for people to join (At least among the folks I have talked with).

Now, I'm not so sure that folks are going to be as willing to join .

I seriously suggest keeping the system the way it was  and let each winner make the choice of what to do with the money.

And I FULLY agree with Graham and the following: "Many of us were playing this game in the hope that we might one day win a prize which we could use to help cover the electricity and other costs which we have incurred."

Ed

K
Kolonija ID: 6558525 Posts: 1
20 May 2019 06:36 AM

Hi,

i recently joined, few days ago. I am running Boinc for years now, and when i read description on web page, i tought "so I can do the same work and possibly get some monex for the same job I am dooing now". So I started. And now I read that there will be not prizes? So the web page lies? Correct me if I am wrong, please. And tell me why should I run (Einstain, Rosetta or SETI) trought charityengine.com rather than directly within BOINC.

sorry for bad english, but i think that you can understand.

thanks.

Graham Jenkins ID: 1626 Posts: 160
15 Jul 2019 10:35 PM

So in today's Prize announcement, you ask: "Shall we do one more?"

And of course the anser is: "Yes!"

Fahd Mokaddem ID: 6479 Posts: 4
17 Jul 2019 05:02 PM

I agree ! IMO, prizes should still be gifted to users who would decide what to do with the money.

FT
Fre Timmerman ID: 6565241 Posts: 1
24 Sep 2019 07:10 PM

i agree with Kolonija here,

the website is an absolute LIE. i just installed because there was promise of possibly winning a prize, it's all very well explained on the website and in the FAQ

i was noticing the current progress stays at 100% without explanation, untill i found this thread.

NOT USER FRIENDLY AT ALL!!! (and actually very misleading!)

SL
Steve Lawson ID: 6565472 Posts: 1
26 Sep 2019 03:15 PM

I also agree with i with Kolonija regarding the shift away from Prize Draws.  You [Charity Engine personnel] need to update the website to reflect this new policy -- or is this some sort of Social Experiment?

WR
Wayne Robinson ID: 6563221 Posts: 2
26 Sep 2019 09:39 PM

I signed up just for the chance to win a prize!  I'll keep it going for a few weeks more and if it doesn't change will go back to my original settings!

Wayne

AT
Adam Thompson ID: 6565407 Posts: 1
27 Sep 2019 05:41 PM

Sigh.  Just started this 2 days ago.  So I was misled about prizes?  What else am I being misled about?  I came to this due to learning about the cubed 42 discovery and chose this due to it being advertised that there were regular prizes awarded.  Going to find time this weekend to discontinue and just support the projects directly.

27 Sep 2019 06:57 PM

Hi guys,

Just to clarify, the prize draws are still continuing - there is one in progress right now!

We were thinking of stopping them a while ago, but people still like them.

Sorry for the confusion!