WU's requiring multiple CPUs

DocH ID: 526372 Posts: 77
29 Sep 2015 05:00 AM

HI,

I have noticed CE WU's requiring Multiple CPU's to process the WU.

One particular CE WU required that I increase to  4 cpu's in the Computing OPtions section.

The attached image show a WU requiring 3 cpu's.

I do not recall this happening before.

Also, the disk space requirements have increased quite abit... IE I now have 10GB allocated to Charity Engine.

Any info would be most appreciated!!

Thanks,

Ed

Tristan Olive ID: 22 Posts: 383
29 Sep 2015 02:32 PM

Not necessarily unexpected behavior, Ed. Some new work has different resource requirements, so systems that are capable of it are giving all they've got. Seems to me it doesn't do much good to send a 4 CPU WU to a 3 CPU machine, though, so we can look into that.

Similarly for disk space, some jobs are using that more heavily than others. The limit is set to the lesser of 8GB or 10% of your disk (so long as at least 8GB are left free on the disk, too).

DocH ID: 526372 Posts: 77
02 Oct 2015 03:20 AM

Thanks Tristan for the info!

I DO have a Quad-core CPU, so I don't mind the jobs that require them, tho I usually have my prefs set to use a max of 2 or 3 CPU's, depending on what else I may be doing with the PC.

And so far, I have plenty of HDD space free....I was just curious when I saw the "Requirement"  of 4 cpu's listed with the particular WU, as well as the fact that when I read the Notice that popped up asking for more HDD space....when I set the limit to 10 GB, things became happy again!!

On the off-chance that somehow the CE Desktop ap was "messed-up", I re-installed the Charity Engine just to be sure.

Thanks Again,

Ed