[New user] No progress on tasks

L
Laurens ID: 636475 Posts: 8
09 Oct 2014 04:16 PM

Hello, I'm a new user of Charity Engine Desktop (Windows) and I'm confused as to whether the program is working properly. Currently, the program is running the 'Charity Engine' project (the only one available) and instances of ce7-pub and ce3-pub show up and disappear as tasks intermittetly, but the progress bar remains at 0.000% regardless of whether the status is 'Running, high priority' or 'Waiting to run'. I really can't tell whether this is intended behaviour, as other forum threads seem to indicate I should be seeing something different. but my CPU load seems to indicate it's doing something, at least.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Tristan Olive ID: 22 Posts: 383
09 Oct 2014 04:44 PM

Hi Laurens, I can see that you're earning points, so it seems that much is ok. Stats are calculated at a bit of a delay, but you should start seeing progress here on your home page by tomorrow at the latest.

That being said, your tasks should not appear frozen at 0%. If that is still the case when your points start showing up, we should take a closer look to see why that may be happening.

L
10 Oct 2014 07:32 PM

Thanks for your reply. You're right, my points are increasing, and the event log does report finished tasks, but the progress bar has remained at zero. In the advanced view, I see that the tasks named ce7-pub 1.08 are completing normally, but the ones named ce3 151 (cuda) all show a computation error after running for a few seconds. Is this useful information?

Also, I notice that occasionally, my active window loses focus about six to eight times in the space of half a minute, seemingly as a result of Charity Engine activity. This is especially annoying when typing or playing a game. Is there something I can do about this?

Edit: I wanted to have the program in a different install location so I downloaded BOINC Manager, and the progress bars work this time. Yet I'm not sure whether the 16-hour time estimates are accurate, as they are actually completing much sooner than that.

DocH ID: 526372 Posts: 77
11 Oct 2014 06:20 AM

Hi !

I am seeing the same thing with Charity Engine tasks OTHER than GPU tasks.

The "Progress" column does not show any progress percentage...just o.oo%.

The "Elapsed" and "Remaining" columns function fine, updating OK as the job is completed.

The rosetta@home jobs function OK, with all columns updating correctly.

Points seem to be doing fine...just the strangeness with the Charity (non-gpu) jobs.

Ed

Rytis Slatkevičius ID: 195 Posts: 56
15 Oct 2014 02:07 PM

Not all of our applications provide progress reporting in the client, so as long as elapsed time counts up, they would be running OK even though you would see 0% progress. When done, they will jump to 100% and report back to the server.

L
15 Oct 2014 02:45 PM

Thanks, that's good to know, but the only tasks that are showing as 100% completed are cuda applications that encounter computation errors after running only a few seconds. Is there a way to make these tasks complete correctly, or alternatively, a way to prevent them from running?