Unable to connect to client

MM
Mike Martin ID: 2590 Posts: 4
15 Oct 2013 08:14 AM

Just noticed that for the last month there has been no activity on my PC.

I have a messgae unable to connect to client. I cannot find anything untoward on my PC. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

J
Jo1252 ID: 1311 Posts: 81
15 Oct 2013 02:55 PM

Hum... it looks like a strange issue.

Could you give us a little more information about your computer?

What OS do you use? (Mac OSX, Windows, Linux)

If you use Windows, it might help to uninstall boinc and reinstall it.

To do so, go into the Control Panel--->Programs and features--->Uninstall program

Choose the program in the list and click on uninstall. Then I'd suggest you to reboot your computer.

Try to install the software again and tell us if it helped.

TD
Timothy Dickey ID: 1242 Posts: 15
16 Oct 2013 05:18 AM

Dear Mike Martin:

Please take a look on previous post that I have on what may cause the issue of unable to connect to client for your computer.  This is not only a Windows issue but a Linux issue too.  I have given an in depth decription of what you may do to fix it in previous threads for both. 

Best of luck.  Timothy D.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

MM
16 Oct 2013 08:12 AM
MM
16 Oct 2013 08:15 AM

Windows XP with service pack 3 running on a Dell dimension 9200.

I have removed rebooted and reinstalled charity engine but still unable to connect to client.

Timothy I could not find your post on this subject can you point me in the right direction and I will try your solutions.

If I can't resolve this I guess i will have to drop out of the system which would be a shame.

Many thanks.

TD
Timothy Dickey ID: 1242 Posts: 15
16 Oct 2013 11:11 AM

Mike the topic that I commented on was Bad Email Addresses.  What happened was that the client would at first tell you that it was getting bad email adresses and it was having a hard time to connect but then you would shortly not be able to connect at all.  This is all caused if you add  ANY Boinc project outside what Charity Engine is curently promoting for the patrons that are connected in their free time.  What I had to do for my Windows unit was completely remove Boinc, REMOVE DATA TOO while doing the uninstall from the Windows uninstall screen, reboot and then do a new install of Boinc from the start and start over as if it were a new machine ...  all because of likely adding a new project outside of Charity Engine acceptance.  I like the concept of this project but it has its moments in trying to crunch with other projects in Boinc.  I some times just throw my hands up and just run the program without the manager and manage it on my on to crunch for other projects.  You get no credit for doing that but so what.

****** FOLLOW THIS TO THE LETTER*****

IT IS SIMILAR TO WHAT YOU DID BEFORE BUT AN ADDED STEP

But the solution for you is a

COMPLETE UNINSTALL         WITH BOINC DATA REMOVED,

reboot, and

install again.

Good luck,

Timothy

MM
16 Oct 2013 02:23 PM

Hi Timothy

I do not have BOINC on my PC or at least nowhere that I can find so unable to remove it.

Tried once again to remove and re-install Charity Engine but to no avail. So looks like I am off the grid.

Many thanks for your attempts to assist.

Regards

Mike

Jonathan Brier ID: 159 Posts: 112
16 Oct 2013 04:37 PM

I'm adding basic and complete uninstall instructions to the FAQ:

http://www.charityengine.com/community/wiki/basic-and-complete-uninstall-charity-engine-and-boinc

Should be up in the next 24 hours.

The unable to connect message is hard to diagnose due to its cause could be anything blocking communications. Its a known issue and best work around at the moment is uninstalling and reinstalling.