Joining CE from BOINC. Do I reset or remove existing projects?

Roger W ID: 18275 Posts: 10
30 Sep 2013 02:27 PM

Hi

Just heard of (and joined!) CE after crunching BOINC for years.

Have stopped using my previous BOINC manager (Bamstats) and successfuly attached the BOINC client to CE (www.charityengine.com).

Question: I was already attatched to several projects such as Einstein, Rosetta, etc.  Do I "remove" or "reset" these projects in BOINC manager, then synchronise with Charity Engine?

As a new member here, a few observations:

It's a real shame there's no way for new CE credits to be added to existing BOINC work done over the years. That will stop a LOT of existing BOINC members.

You might want to add the facility of a "nickname" that's displayed - some people may be reluctant to have their full name displayed.

I think the website needs a bit of a revamp: Please don't take offence, but I suspect many non-techies would just give up rather than work out what they're supposed to do!

Anyway, happy to be here and crunching for CE!

J
Jo1252 ID: 1311 Posts: 81
08 Oct 2013 11:31 AM

Looks like community is dead here...

Anyway, you should probably detach from the project and let charity engine take care of the rest.

This way you can be sure that all your points will be going to your account and not to the older account you had prior to using Charityengine account manager.

I hope it helps even if it's a week later.

Roger W ID: 18275 Posts: 10
08 Oct 2013 01:49 PM

Thanks for the reply - all seems to be ticking over well now.

You're right though, it certainly does seem a little quiet around here...

MC
Matt Catterall ID: 2641 Posts: 5
10 Oct 2013 01:54 PM

At first there were many people here....... just makes you wonder how many are left?

TD
Timothy Dickey ID: 1242 Posts: 15
14 Oct 2013 12:38 AM

Roger W,

You can change your name if you want by clicking on Home --> ACCOUNT --> NAME..... TO CHANGE YOUR displayed name to a nick name if you want.

Best of Luck.  Timothy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Mark McA ID: 179 Posts: 224
16 Oct 2013 01:56 AM

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your support and welcome to CE. There's a wiki page explaining how existing BOINC users can join and what your project options are. Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mark

PS. Matt - we also wish more folks would use the forum; more recent newbies seem to prefer emailing us their FAQs for some reason. (And some never-before-asked questions too...) 

J
16 Oct 2013 05:07 AM

If you want people to use the forum, maybe you could put an incentive to attract more people on the forum.

Let's say talk a little about what's going on behind the scene exclusively on the forum. For example: This week, we did this to improve that. Worked on a new application that will soon be available,etc.

If it's too much work for you, you could create a forum section for people participating in CE project to discuss about all and everything, new technologies,etc. it shouldn't be too hard to do and it would create a small community that would only increase with time.

If you really want people to participate, you could also make a section where people have to do something to win a few points. For example a lotery, or a game.

Those are just suggestions to help you, and I'm not criticizing in any way the work done by you and the team.

Jo1252

P.s: Is it only me or are stats not updating on the website ? On the graph, I haven't had new points since days, but on BOINC software they are rising... Please contact me here or by mail if it's an issue I'm the only one to experience. I've already sent a mail, but got no response...

Mark McA ID: 179 Posts: 224
16 Oct 2013 02:46 PM

Thanks Jo, some great suggestions. Have asked the tech guys about the stats, will report back asap.

J
16 Oct 2013 03:58 PM

Thank you Mark!

Jonathan Brier ID: 159 Posts: 112
17 Oct 2013 03:59 AM

Sorry Roger W, Jo1252 for the silence.  I'm still working on a process not to missing posts I triage on the go and many are emailing questions.  Jo1252, I like the suggestions.

Still checking on stats, have you tried logging out and back in as this forces a refresh if its a session or cache issue.

J
17 Oct 2013 04:20 AM

Tried to login and out, change places, computer.

I'm still stucked at the same points I had days ago.

The graph seems to update though, as I see the lines moving toward the left side, but no new points are added. I have a "blank" on the right side of the graph.

J
17 Oct 2013 07:51 PM

the numbers updated today, still no sign on the graph though.

17 Oct 2013 08:24 PM

Thanks for the update! The stats update once a day or so as they are pulled in from the projects.  As points are awarded as the jobs are verified then pulled in to our servers there is a delay between what you will see locally and the values.

Keep an eye on the progress and let us know if the points and graph don't update in the next 72 hours (including after logging out of the website and back in) post a notice here.  It could be that the points are granted in a weird time from when we do an update.  I wasn't told of any troubles with the stats updating from our team.  If that changes I'll post back here.

J
18 Oct 2013 03:58 PM

It seems to be fine, now.

The stats and the graph updated. I have a huge spike in the graph that shows I got all the points for the last days.

I didn't know the graph could change its units from thousands to millions. Cool feature!

18 Oct 2013 05:13 PM

Thanks for the validation on the stats functioning.  

Large spikes can occur depending on how jobs are validated and if you are participating with a GPU.  GPU's are 10-100x or more powerful and efficient at some types of tasks.