Parallela

NG
Nicholas Goss ID: 57 Posts: 41
21 Aug 2013 04:54 AM

I was just curious what the developers thought of the parallela board. And more specifically if they think the parallela board would be supported, or if it would be worth running.

S
SuperMecha ID: 3198 Posts: 2
22 Aug 2013 11:35 AM

I don't think the performance of the Parallela chips is really that good. The Radeon 7970 GE has more than 100x the performance (4 Tflops vs 32 Gflops) for about 3x the price, and the Radeon is already supported.

http://parallelis.com/parallela-supercomputing-for-all-of-us/

NG
22 Aug 2013 05:09 PM

For the general user the Radeon would be a great idea. However, I'm looking into making a stand alone system run exclusively by solar (or other renewable energy). So I would need a very low power consumption, even if not necessarily the most efficient. I would also need a device that could do calculations without being tied to a separate processor. If anyone has any input on a solution that could work, I would be happy to hear it. My idea would be to build a device that you could just leave somewhere, forget about it, and still get calculations done.

NG
22 Aug 2013 05:15 PM

Looks like in the future they will be switching to selling the Epiphany IV for $199 which still isn't too bad.

S
SuperMecha ID: 3198 Posts: 2
22 Aug 2013 08:28 PM

Have a look a AMD's Temash/Kabini SOC. I know one the G-Series chips has a TDP of 6W.

NG
23 Aug 2013 03:04 AM

Here is an interesting table of the Epiphany series.(looks like the table didn't attach) It looks like the Epiphany IV (when it comes out will be very effecient). Although looking at the AMDTemash A-6, it could be more efficient to go up to the 8W SoC. Not sure if there would be a huge advantage to a SoC vs just a processor on a chip. The GPU option of a SoC would be nice.http://www.adapteva.com/products/epiphany-ip/epiphany-architecture-ip/