Sharing tasks for dual boot system

JW
Jonathan Waldner ID: 2206 Posts: 11
23 Jun 2013 12:13 AM

Hi, I am wondering whether or not there is a way to share the same tasks between two different operating systems on the same machine.  I am running Windows 7 and Linux Mint 15, and switch between the two regularly.  

My problem is that while I'm in Windows my machine starts tasks, but when I switch to Mint, (which is my primary OS) they stop and never get finished before the deadline, while my FX-8320 is working on totally new tasks.  Is there a way around this problem?  

Jonathan Brier ID: 159 Posts: 112
23 Jun 2013 04:38 AM

Hi Jonathan,

While I believe this configurating would be technically feasible it is not a supported confiuration by Charity Engine.  It would require the sharing of the project folder between he OS's configuring both Charity Engine installations to access the same file location.  I'm not sure if this would impact the validation of these units of work though.

Though the software should learn over time if it knows a computer consistantly misses deadlines to send shorter work if available.  Thus some units may complete with regular use of both OS's.

Short answer: Not really a way around the dual OS boot not completing all tasks.

Dennis Nawrot ID: 6360 Posts: 32
23 Jun 2013 01:39 PM
23 Jun 2013 01:47 PM

You should not forget that most DC projects use different applications for different Operating Systems. A BOINC Client running under LINUX f.e. is not able to crunch a WU which was downloaded by your Windows Application.

The solution for your problem lies within your Bulldozer CPU, which is able to support Hardware Virtualisation. The smart way would be to stop using a Dual Boot System, running Mint as your Main OS and installing Windows 7 in an virtual machine.

You can use QEMU-KVM for this tasks, a very powerful and free virtualization tool. It is already part of your distribution afaik. Of course, this will need some reading, but there is plenty much of documentation about QEMU-KVM in the web.

Stay smart.

JW
23 Jun 2013 05:15 PM

Thanks for the response.  @Dennis:  I have used Virtualbox before, and I agree that it would be the smart way to do it.  I just don't relish all the reinstalling, configuring, and updating involved with a fresh Windows install.

23 Jun 2013 05:57 PM

If you've got the needed ressources, you could virtualize your Windows via VMWare Converter, merge the Files with vdiskmanager and convert the vmdk files to a qcow2 file.

Then you would be able to import it into QEMU-KVM.

JW
23 Jun 2013 06:42 PM

I have never heard of what you are suggesting, but will read up on it.  It seems like I could learn something in the process.  

23 Jun 2013 09:09 PM

Well, basically you can convert physical machines to virtual ones. In fact, the process generates a second virtual machine, while the physical original remains untouched.

VMWare Converter is able to do so. After this is finished, you are able to import the virtual machine into a virtualization enviroment. Because I would always prefer QEMU-KVM, i would do some steps to convert the VMWare virtual machine to a virtual machine which is able to be imported by QUEMU-KVM.

I'm doing something similar in my company, where we convert old physical Computers (which control some scientific stuff, like Gaschromatographs f.e.) to virtual ones, building new work places for the employees, with one new physical PC containing three-four of the older systems.

It works. But you need of course some equipment. For that what i have suggested to you, you need at least one additional computer afaik, and overall I've never made experiences with converting dual-boot systems.

Well, the much easier way would be a fresh windows install in the virtualization host (your Mint) or, preferably, quit using Windows at all ;-)