Will there be an Charity Engine Application like there is for Windows Apps and pts shown?

TD
Timothy Dickey ID: 1242 Posts: 15
02 Mar 2013 03:31 AM

I was wanting to know if there is a project in the works for an Application for Charity Engine to do similar work like there is in for Windows computers?  In my Wife's computer she does work for Charity Engine, Malariacontrol.net, Einstein, and ClimatePrediction.net.  Thanks.  Just wanting to know.

PS.  Why is there not any pts shown in my wife's computer for the CE application?  Just wanting to find out.

TD
02 Mar 2013 03:32 AM

I have several units in Linux as to why I ask.

G
Graham ID: 2422 Posts: 27
03 Mar 2013 10:07 AM

I run charity engine via BOINC on an Unbuntu 32 Box and BOINC (not charity engine yet) on a Raspberry Pi.  You should find instructions somewhere for the former on this site.  (Sorry I forgot the sequnce for Ubuntu but will hunt around for it.)

G
03 Mar 2013 10:14 AM

Doh! I forgot!  The basic Linux instructions are on in the FAQ.  You can get BOINC for ubuntu using Synaptic.

TD
03 Mar 2013 02:46 PM

Graham,  

I have the Charity Engine Manager and boinc installed on several computers including one Windows computer and at least 3 or more Linux computers and reporting completed WU with results.  

I want to say that I came across a web page on the CE site that stated that the applications for the CE attachment to send out CE statistics WU had only Windows availability for the moment.  Take for example Einstein, the project has Window, Linux and Mac applications that are downloaded for whichever operating system that you have.  WUs are then sent out for that computer to work on.  

My Wife's computer which is a Windows computer receives a CE WU for statistics and is processed  and returned about every 20 to 30 minutes in a days time.  This is every day since I hooked her computer to the CE Manager.  Every linux computer that I have connected to this project has yet to receive a CE statistics WU from the CE Manager but it receives WU from Malariacontrol.net, Einstein, and ClimatePrediction and gives results. 

That is my biggest question as to why?  My computers are connected to the CE manager, it sends out the request, but zero WUs are given for the CE stats app.  

The next question is why do the numbers on my wife's computer for the CE Application still stay at zero, when statistics WU are processed so far daily?  I am not wanting them reported to Boinc, this is only to let me know if there is a problem or not in a computer so that I can look into it. 

As for Synaptic in your second posting, I have used it before but you can also install Boinc using the Software Center and look for Boinc linux application and it will install then without problems.  

I know how Boinc works in Windows and Linux both.  I have over 3 million credits in total for other projects using the computers that I have, so I do have valid questions.  

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/detail/23811514

If there is not a Linux or Mac application yet in CE for the CE manager to assign, say so.  Don't be secretive and not place it on the webpage to get to.  Do like ClimatePrediction does : post it !

http://climateapps2.oerc.ox.ac.uk/cpdnboinc/apps.php

where you can see if your computer can contribute for everyone.  I have tried to access that same type page on CE, but all I get is forbidden access trying from a Linux OS using firefox and chrome.  I can access that page though in Windows and it says Windows applications and nothing else listed.  

If there is anything that I need to do to edit a file or what not in my linux computers, just instruct me in what is needed.  

This is for my computers that are processing WU's. in Linux and I am wanting to process the CE statistics WU's also like the lone Windows computer does.  Thanks.

TD
03 Mar 2013 03:05 PM

If there is nothing that can be done for the moment does the CE Statistics application needs to be rewitten for a different platform so that it can be added later? 

Linux/x86 /x64

Mac OS X Intel

======================================

currently works for Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7) 

G
03 Mar 2013 05:04 PM

No idea, I am just a user and thought you were after info on linux.  As far as I can see the only way to see how much is being done by a linux machine is the gross statistic from the more stats page on the website which I am sure you are aware of. 

TD
04 Mar 2013 03:42 AM

Graham,

I do appreciate the attempt at some help. 

Yes, I am aware of the info on the statistic form on the stats page on this website that list all the computers connected to the CE manager for this website.  I just would like more info if possible and find out if my linux machines will work or not currently for the statistics app....that is all. 

I appreate it again for lending a voice in assistance.

Jonathan Brier ID: 159 Posts: 112
05 Mar 2013 02:33 AM

Hi Timothy,

I'm not sure I follow what "statistics" application you are referring to.  Charity Engine operates differently than any other project as it is a service to raise funds and will have a varitey of applications passthrough its operation.  These are automatically added and removed as they are available or not.  

There are no defined application that Charity Engine runs.  The apps vary depending on the contract and what is being processed.  The main goal here is to have computers help raise funds for charity, generate pionts for a drawing, and help researchers.

There is no need to monitor if you get a particular applciation as these are assigned to systems as determined by the server.  Charity Engine currenly only officially creates branded installs for Mac and Windows.  The Linux participants are free to participate, but support is limited to the BOINC package.

Can you email a screenshot of the place you are seeing zero points for your wife's computer and/or provide the URL?  We have been running small tasks for the Charity Engine projects to a back end resolution, but some credits should appear.

Matt ID: 44 Posts: 293
05 Mar 2013 07:09 AM

Jon, Timothy -- CE is currently serving an app for windows users called "Stats".  There will soon be a version for Mac and probably Linux.  The app is very, very lightweight; it uses so little CPU time that at present, under the current accounting system, it tends to take a very long time to earn even a single credit.  (*We may need to adjust that.)  Presently it just does some very simple functions to assist in keeping users's stats synchronized, and also prevents the client from repeatedly reporting the message "no new work", which seems to some users-- reasonably -- to look like an error even when it's not.

CE is also serving more demanding tasks; but these are at present limited to our commercial partners -- reason being that these new tasks all require GPU access, and the current public release of the CE desktop software does not support that.  We'll have a new desktop release available in a couple weeks, hopefully; and at that point anyone who upgrades will get more demanding-- and productive-- tasks.

DR
Dave Robinson ID: 3832 Posts: 7
05 Mar 2013 11:51 AM

Matt, what if you're running CE through the regular BOINC client, and have a compatible GPU? Will those clients get the GPU tasks too?

06 Mar 2013 05:28 AM

For now, I think no public users are getting GPU tasks from CharityEngine.  

The first batch require a specific hardware profile (only some models of GPU can run the jobs).  A second batch, in the works, requires a different profile.  When we've got both these -- and so can at least make use of a decent fraction of public resources -- we'll start sending them out.  

Finally, as a practical matter, we aspire to coordinate the release of GPU tasks with the release of the updated desktop software -- ie, to use the announcement of new work as an opportunity to encourage users to update...

D
Darkknight900 ID: 3546 Posts: 37
09 Mar 2013 09:56 PM

Just a suggestion for the gpu tasks since i get them on one of my computer.

I would like to have a little bit more time for these tasks and also to can download more than just 2 (server side restriction it seems)

MC
Matt Compute ID: 43 Posts: 23
14 Mar 2013 03:38 PM
<This post has been removed by the moderator>
14 Mar 2013 03:40 PM

Btw -- Update:

• Users who are running generic BOINC (v7+) rather than the Charity Engine version will indeed get GPU tasks from our project server.  (*The various limits (time, number of jobs) which Darkknight mentions above are necessary for now.)
  • We'll be releasing an updated version of the Charity Engine desktop software within a month; it will be a simple update and anyone who upgrades (or anyone who joins after that date) will start getting these tasks.
TD
14 Mar 2013 04:27 PM

Matt,

Thanks for the Infomation, I do hope to crunch all the possible apps that you offer at some point.  I check my computers daily because one unit hangs due to memory issues that I plan on having it fixed in the next 2 months.  When it hangs, it just runs without any crunching being done.  That is why I check the stats on performance and why I was asking about the pts that the stat app performs. I thought there were issues I needed to address on my part.

My linux computers loves to crunch apps that can be processed quickly.  I hope that you will have a new linux app for us linux users to work with with the next update.

BTW, I noticed that the stats app changed in the last day or two.   I noticed a large jump in pts and avg pts per WU today when I updated my computer and CE application showed  66 pts with a 5.91 avg per WU on Boinc mgr screen.  Thanks for that too.  It helps to see a little progress on stuff.

For this thread I think my question was answered.  Appreciate it.  Timothy

MC
Matt Compute ID: 43 Posts: 23
14 Mar 2013 04:31 PM

Thanks Timothy.