Where's the download button?

mb
miss bo-peep ID: 3931 Posts: 3
27 Feb 2013 03:17 PM

I registered with my email but didn't download at the time as needed to get on with some work and thought it would ask me to turn PC off etc. Now I can't find the download button!

Jonathan Brier ID: 159 Posts: 112
27 Feb 2013 03:21 PM

Hi miss bo-peep you are not alone with asking this question and we should probably add the download label to our "add computer" description as that is where you can download a new installer.

Log into your account then at http://www.charityengine.com/ you will see on the right "add computer" which functions to provide a new download of the Charity Engine installer.

Thank you for participating in Charity Engine.

mb
27 Feb 2013 03:23 PM

Thanks Jonathan for your ultra swift response :-) Will it slow down my PC whilst downloading, need to turn it off, etc?

27 Feb 2013 03:33 PM

It is a small download of a few megabytes so it shouldn't slow your computer down more than any other download.  

You may have to restart your computer to complete installation, but it is all automated so just follow the directions and use your computer as you would normally.  

After install is complete Charity Engine runs very low priority for computer resources so you should not notice that it is running while you go about your normal tasks.  Let us know if you experience any issues.

mb
27 Feb 2013 04:08 PM

Thanks again Jonathan. Will do it later.

And can you explain exactly how (in layman's terms!) some of my PC memory or whatever can help charities? Would love to spread the word but would like to be able to explain it simply to people!

01 Mar 2013 07:37 AM

Let me try with an analogy:

Think of a computer as a warehouse with 4 assembly lines.  While under normal operation you use 1 of the 4 lines, but sometimes you need 2 or all 4 of the lines. The demand for the capacity varies over the course of time.  

You decide that it is not efficient to let those other lines go to waste so you find someone who will use the other lines for their activies when you don't need them, but if you need them they instantly let you have them back for your use.

This is what Charity Engine does with your computer, but with the number of calculations it is performing on your processor.  

A computer uses 10-15% of its abilities for most activies like writing a document or surfing the internet.  Other activites like games and video might take more, but for the most part the computer is not using 100% of its ability to calculate numbers.  Charity Engine is able to monitor the spare capabilities and fill in tasks to leave less spare capacity wasted.  Anytime the user's task needs more computing Charity Engine reduces what it uses as it has lowest priority.

This is the same process for all processors in your computer.  Some tasks may use hard drive to store files or the network to access the Internet, but they act in a similar fashion where your use is priority and they have set limits they don't interfere with normal use.

I hope this is layman's enough else we will try to clarify anything confusing.