Rosetta@home Back?

Garrett B ID: 3819 Posts: 8
25 Jan 2013 12:12 AM

I have rosetta@home in my project listing as of today

I know there has been problems with it in the past, which I am experinceing none currently.

I basically was wondering if you guys were just testing or is it back for good?

Matt ID: 44 Posts: 293
25 Jan 2013 12:12 AM

It'll just be for a couple days.  Then off -- then hopefully back in a couple weeks or so --

D
Darkknight900 ID: 3546 Posts: 37
25 Jan 2013 03:54 PM

And to not open another thread for that, why is now climateprediction at home also active here?

25 Jan 2013 03:59 PM

Same reason as above -- 

It will be just for a few days.  This is to correct an issue that a small number of users are having with their stats: this will help some users' systems to properly synchronize stats across projects.  

25 Jan 2013 04:02 PM

rosetta, however, may come back later -- because we are also working with them on some issues with their application which were causing problems on some systems.  (these problems with rosetta applications affected a different set of issues than the stat problems); so if rosetta application issues get sorted, we'd very much like to run that project on a larger scale & longer term...

(we're unlikely to return to running climateprediction long term, however, as the data transfer requirements are larger)

NG
Nicholas Goss ID: 57 Posts: 41
25 Jan 2013 10:32 PM

hopefully this shows up but it would appear that the Rosetta@home memory issue is not fixed yet. I have 24Gb of RAM and when I got home today it was using 95% of that.Also it would appear as though closing out of CharityEngine isn't enough to flush the memory. Each process has to be manually stopped.

for technical details I'm running on windows 7 64-bit with charity engine version 6.8.44

D
25 Jan 2013 10:47 PM

I dont have any problems with rosetta yet... For me the consistent ram usage of rosetta is alot better for me than the inconsistent usage of openMalaria. How many tasks are u running with these 24GB?

By the way the "issue" of using that much ram isn't a real issue since the app just needs more memory than another...

I don't think the developer of charityengine can handle this usage in any way since this isn't in the possible range of managing boinc projects

NG
25 Jan 2013 11:02 PM

What I have been experiancing, if i'm reading this right, is that when Rosetta@home finishes a task it just doesn't clear itself from the RAM. Not really an issue that CharityEngine can fix, but they could pass the information to Rosetta. As far as size yes the Rosetta WU are huge, but it appears that it is a case of just not clearing out of the RAM when it's done. As a side note I lowered my max RAM usuage so I'll report on whether that makes a significant difference or not.

D
25 Jan 2013 11:14 PM

so how many tasks are actually running of these in memory?

or in other words how many cpus getting used by charityengine?

NG
25 Jan 2013 11:47 PM

total with all the project i'm running 12 projects.(6 cores hyperthreaded)

D
26 Jan 2013 12:40 AM

Ok then this should be real a problem of charityengine.I have to admit i had never a problem with the rosetta project!

Currently i am using Boinc 7.0.28 64 Bit on Windows 8 and also on Windows 7 i never had a problem! This just for the developer.

Maybe you can try the lates boinc software with your projects. The charityengine account manager can be easily synced.

NG
26 Jan 2013 03:39 PM

Oh, I didn't know an update had been released. I'll try that.

D
26 Jan 2013 09:18 PM

oh ok i thought u take the charityengine client not the boinc

NG
27 Jan 2013 12:47 AM

Oops. Yeah I'm using the charity engine client. I didn't see the BOINC in from of your version number.

Jonathan Brier ID: 159 Posts: 112
27 Jan 2013 10:35 PM

We are looking into the rosetta@home and have contacted the Rosetta@home developers to help us look into this and communicating with us via email.  

You can also read some of the public discussion on the issue at the rosetta@home forums: http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=6176

Some evidence points to our branded version of BOINC, but nothing has been reproduced yet.  

@Nicholas Goss if you feel adventurous and would like to try uninstalling Charity Engine and installing the BOINC software and reporting back if this fixes the issue. (note: once you install BOINC version 7 you cannot go back to Charity Engine's installer without removing all trace files of BOINC)  If you do the upgrade please report back if this solves your issue may help diagnose where the issue may be.

27 Jan 2013 11:00 PM

Out of curiosity Nicholas do you have an NVIDIA grapics card in your computer that is experiencing the rosetta tasks not leaving memory issue?

NG
27 Jan 2013 11:03 PM

I think I will try the BOINC install. I love charityengine amd would love an opportunity to help. I just got back from a weekend away from my computer and after doing an update command on the three projects and a synchronize of the charityengine client; I had 24 WU from Rosetta@home either in queue or being ran, but i had 69 open processes in my task manager. This went way over my allowed 40% of RAM usuage. All other projects were an even number in the client vs the task manager. I'm unistalling now and will be installing the BOINC client soon after that.

NG
27 Jan 2013 11:10 PM

here is a complete Specy report summary of my hardware. not sure if I know how to check what is running in my graphics card though.

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Core i7 Extreme 980X @ 3.33GHz    184 °F
    Gulftown 32nm Technology
RAM
    24.0 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 674MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X58A-UD3R (Socket 1366)    115 °F
Graphics
    X246W-1080p (1920x1080@60Hz)
    1279MB GeForce GTX 470 (EVGA)    153 °F
Hard Drives
    932GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device (SATA)
    932GB Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA Device (SATA)    83 °F
Optical Drives
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE UH10LS20 ATA Device
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S ATA Device
Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

D
28 Jan 2013 12:05 PM

What Nvidia GPU Driver you have installed on this system? Maybe you can try updating it here and see if this resolves the issue.

NG
31 Jan 2013 06:59 PM

After switching to the boinc install and linking to charityengine, I have been running for about a week straight and have experianced perfect conditions. Either rosetta@home has sorted out it's problems or there is a difference between the charityengine install and the boinc install that changes how the RAM is released for rosetta@home. I will be switching back to the charityengine install if you don't need me anymore on the boinc install.

NG
01 Feb 2013 03:58 AM

Ok I switched to charity engine install and will report on how it goes. Can someone from tech make sure I got switched properly and points are coming in. As for GPU driver the scan on the link you posted isn't working. Not sure what the issue is there, could be the NVidia site.

D
01 Feb 2013 04:45 AM

i am sorry i put a localized link up. Here should be the general link, also working for you. http://www.geforce.com/drivers

01 Feb 2013 08:07 AM

Nicholas and Darkknight900 thank you for all your hard work.

Nicholas great to hear the BOINC install worked.  Did you participate in BOINC before joining Charity Engine? (narrowing down the variables that may be causing this behavior)  The http://www.geforce.com/drivers link will help you get the driver version as Darkknight900 posted.

We think there might be some behavior between switching from the protected mode to non protected or vise versa else a driver or other bug fixed in a later BOINC version which might be the cause.  There is no harm in using the latest BOINC version as we will be moving to it or a later version as we enable GPU functions.

As for checking on the switch working properly... the proper instructions to switch from BOINC's latest to CE can be found at: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Release_Notes_for_BOINC_7.0#Incompatibility_warning_for_return_to_BOINC_6

As long as you removed the BOINC folders or the xml files from the boinc data folder you are fine.  You wouldn't see work units being processed if you didn't do it right.

Thanks again for following up on this for us.

Mark McA ID: 179 Posts: 224
01 Feb 2013 06:17 PM

Seconded. Thanks gents!

NG
04 Feb 2013 04:10 AM

Yes, I had been using BOINC from the beggining of 2009. I switched to CharityEngine as soon as I got the chance. I liked BOINC, but I liked the thought of helping charities while still being able to help the scientific research. I am updating my graphics card now so we can see if that makes a difference.

NG
05 Feb 2013 03:50 AM

I updated my GPU drivers, I restarted the computer, I cleared all the BOINC stuff off of the computer, and reinstalled CharityEngine. Unforetunately I'm still having the same Rosetta@home issue I was having before. It still seems to have issues with clearing the WU out of RAM when it is done with it. However, I just realized that given the amount of time I let it run and how fast I finish WU's I should have lots more left in RAM. Not sure if this helps at all, but it would seem that either some make it out of RAM or they eventually drop out of the RAM for whatever reason.

05 Feb 2013 03:57 AM

Thanks Nicolas.  When you say "I cleared all the BOINC stuff off of the computer" -- do you recall what you deleted?  For instance, did you delete a BOINC Data folder?  Or just uninstall the application?

J
Jo1252 ID: 1311 Posts: 81
08 Jul 2013 03:13 AM

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but will we see rosetta@home back in the project?

I know a few got problems, but maybe it is fixed by now.

If the issues are not fixed, it would be great to have an option to opt-in of some projects, like this one.

15 Jul 2013 02:42 PM

For the foreseeable future rosetta@home will not be returning.  

I will pass on the suggestion for opt-in "experimental" projects, but the main focus at this time is full automation for Charity Engine to help raise funds for charity and process work for those providing the funds for the drawing and donations.