Bad emailadress

D
Darkknight900 ID: 3546 Posts: 37
30 Dec 2012 10:39 AM

Since a few days i cannot synchronize to charityengine, since i get the message bad emailadress!

Since this emailadress worked some time, and also on my other device it is working it is curious how this can happen now. Are there any problems out there?

Since i don't need the account manager for using my deviced continously this is not an huge problem but for any new members this should be a problem...

Matt ID: 44 Posts: 293
30 Dec 2012 06:04 PM

Darkknight, sounds from your other posts that you might have a somewhat unusual setup.  If anyone else is seeing this issue, pls post here -- but I don't think it's a general problem.  Can you contact us via the Contact Us form?  This will allow us to get in touch with you via email, where you can then send us the log from your dessktop app, so we can get your issue sorted.  Thanks & Happy New Year ~

TD
Timothy Dickey ID: 1242 Posts: 15
12 Feb 2013 12:49 AM

I have also that same problem.  I have set up a different account and it is not working also.  I have it only to one computer but I am trying to attach it to two others now and both are saying the same thing.

Jonathan Brier ID: 159 Posts: 112
12 Feb 2013 01:39 AM

Timothy you are saying you have successfully attached to the first computer, but the second and third recieve the bad email address message?  We always suggest installing on new computers by using the download provided by add computer unless the computer is a linux comptuer.

What operating system are the computer that successfully installed and what is the operating system of the ones which are recieving the bad email address?

You can post here or you could submit a help request via our Contact Us with the information and a reference to this forum post.  We can then work further to resolve this.

TD
12 Feb 2013 02:18 AM

Yes, I had Boinc systems installed on all three systems with projects.  I was able to attached one computer running as an accout manager with Charity Engine with one email address and password. It had several projects running currently.   For the other attempts of attaching the setups with the account manager using charity Engine .. it failed.  Just now, I removed all projects from a flash drive windows setup and I was able to attach it.  This is just only the second success.  I would think that it would be like BAM account manager and just start managing it with other accounts that you have.  It is much harder for the user that is currently attached and would have to detach all projects just to add on just three of your projects.  I think that I will only leave it to these two machines and leave the setup on the others just the same.  Thanks.

Good email address connection

OS Ubuntu 11.04

Windows Vista   32 bit --   running Synecdoche 0.1.2 windows version on Flash drive

Bad email address connection 

OS Ubuntu 11.04

OS Ubuntu 12.04

Jonathan Brier ID: 159 Posts: 112
12 Feb 2013 05:01 AM

Timothy thank you for the details.  It is strange that two computers with the same version of Ubuntu wouldn't connect properly.  While Linux installs are not maintained by CE they should work for attaching to CE.

Are the two versions of 11.04 Ubuntu running the same package versions of BOINC and others?  How did you install BOINC (package manager, build from source, or shell install from the package downloaded from the berkeley site?)  What version of BOINC are you running on the success and failed machines?  Are these headless or with GUI installs?

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 with BOINC attached to CE and other projects... while this is causing us other issues the manager should not have a problem attaching, but this does not say there isn't a bug or conflict someplace.  Maybe we were doing some testing or maintenance that was interfereing with the linkup...  Have you tried attaching more recently?

Could you post the "event log" in a reponse or use the Contact us with reference to this forum topic to let us see from the beginning of the log until a few lines after the "bad email address" appears.  Advanced view > shift - control - E will bring up the log or view it under the avanced menu.

Let me know some of this as we would like to figure out so it doesn't happen in the future if it is something on our end.

TD
12 Feb 2013 06:08 PM

I just wanted to reply that I now have the OS Ubuntu 12.04 system 4.6 (x86_64-linux-gnu) installed with CE.  I have been using a package manager on all systems.  As for the two Ubuntu OS 11.04 systems.  They are running the same versions since I have not seen an upgrade come into the update package since I have installed the system.  They both should be running Boinc 6.10.59 .  The OS Ubuntu 12.04 has Boinc 7.0.27 (X86).  Again how I got it to attach was to unattach all the current projects that I had running and then install the account manager (CE) to manage Boinc.  This CE manager does not operate like BAM account manager in that it does not accept current installed running projects.  I do not think that is good for the users that are already attached to other projects but would like to attach to the charity engine project.  It is something that I think is a programming problem for the manager and having users to detach from their current projects is not acceptable in the long run.  You can reattach the detached projects after installing the CE manager except for the projects that CE installs in the setup.  I hope that it helps with this information provided.  All systems except the 7.0.27 are 32 bit linux systems.  I would post more information but I am headed out the door for my job.  Best wishes on solving this.

TD
03 Apr 2013 03:48 AM

I just wanted to add a little more information to this topic for how I manage the problem of Bad email addresses after adding other projects outside of CharityEngine.  This takes all of two to four minutes to fix.

I had to reset more of my systems several times because of adding assorted projects that also use Boinc other than what CE promotes.  The computer system would work ok for a few days to maybe two weeks before a bad email address would show in my notices or an HTTP error would show in my notices when tryng to contact the Charity Engine servers. 

How I fixed this problem would be to completely uninstall the boinc program from my computer and then (re-install) the system back onto the computer.  This would be like the equal of a completely new install  for some people. 

I use Ubuntu versions 11.04  to 12.10 versions on my computers.  How I go about performing the commands is different for others in Linux flavors other than Ubuntu. 

This is a little help for those that are having the same problems and using Linux Ubuntu.

===============================================================

I removed BOINC by the following command in a terminal:

Sudo apt-get purge boinc-manager boinc-client

I then enter password and answer the question of yes to complete removal of boinc from the computer.

After the computer cleans up and frees up the disk space the computer returns to the commad prompt.  I am then ready for adding back the BOINC program to the computer.  I enter the following command in a terminal.

Sudo apt-get install boinc-manager boinc-client

enter the password at prompt.

after the computer does its work of downloading and then installing then you man run boinc from the desktop or another terminal, like you normally do. 

Make sure to add the Charity Manager to manage the boinc program.  This is the same as if you now did a new install.

I hope this helps some that may still be having a little trouble with the program on here.  Just remember to not add any extra projects because you will run the chance of resetting the program at some point.  So far, I have had to reset five of my computers due to adding more than 3 other projects, for each computer.  All projects were  different because I wanted to spread the type of work over several computers.  There was not any one project that was the same on any of the computers that malfunctioned by giving a bad email address.  This only happened after I added an extra project to the computer when set I up with running Charity Engine as the manager. 

So I hope that this tutorial helped in any way for those that use Linux Ubuntu. 

Best of crunching....Timothy

TD
03 Apr 2013 04:10 AM

Just a little note: ON THE POST that I made on FEB 12. 

I ran into further problems around March 1 with one of my computers by using this method of unattaching and reattaching the account manager. Please disregard what I had written that day.  I could not connect for several days with this computer to the CE servers due to what I performed.  It is very frustrating when that happens.

I finally found the correct method in Linux Ubuntu by doing what I posted Today, April 3. and fixed that problem back in March for that computer.  There have been no problems since. This procedure mentioned for April 3, removed all the bad information and reset the computer to like a new install.

Best of luck.

AC
Adam Cook ID: 3968 Posts: 1
01 Mar 2021 12:21 PM

The same is happening to me, but with Windows 10 on my laptop. I can log into Charity Engine on line which confirms that both my email and password are correct and not an input error, but the installed manager has stopped liking my email address.

It works on my Desktop, but not on my laptop.

I have had the two working on my account for years wirthout an issue.

Tristan Olive ID: 22 Posts: 383
10 Mar 2021 10:10 PM

From Timothy's research above, it seems that this problem was caused by some form of corruption in files or the configuration of the manager. If you are familiar with the BOINC data directory and making changes to XML files, you could take a look at the acct_mgr_login.xml file to see if it has your email address stored properly.

If that all sounds too technical, a couple of other options would be to:

• Reinstall the manager
  • Rename the data directory (typically C:\ProgramData\BOINC on Windows), after exiting the manager

The method that worked for Timothy was to do both: first uninstalling the manager, then removing the data directory and reinstalling the manager. Note that removing the data directory might cause some loss of work in progress on the laptop, if it is actually receiving any work from Charity Engine. Renaming it gives the possibility of restoring it back into place, if desired later.