Any chance I could get the IP address of one of my computers?

SB
Stephen Buergler ID: 3570 Posts: 6
26 Dec 2012 08:26 PM

I thought I had software running that was updating the ip address of one of my computers.. Turns out I was wrong. Is there a way I could get that information?

(It's the only computer on this account. If it could be emailed to the email associated with this account, that would be fine.)

Matt ID: 44 Posts: 293
26 Dec 2012 08:40 PM

Try this link (there are many like it):

http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/ipinfo/

SB
26 Dec 2012 08:53 PM

I want the ipaddress for a computer I am trying to connect to. It's 50 miles away.

Thanks though.

SB
26 Dec 2012 10:15 PM

Nevermind

I guess the other software worked.

It would still be nice to be able to see ip addresses and other info in the http://www.charityengine.com/more-stats screen though.

26 Dec 2012 10:19 PM

ok; great.  

to be honest we try to keep things as simple as possible, and seems that most people go through their whole lives for better or worse without know their IP-- nor in many cases that they even have one...

but what do you think the general utility would be for such a feature?

SB
27 Dec 2012 04:05 AM

I remember seeing on the BOINC blog that the software helped track down a stolen computer.

I just wanted it so I could once again ssh into my home network.

Turns out there was another issue I needed to solve.. ddclient was reporting my ip address every 5 minutes correctly.. I just didn't check to make sure my ISP's "auto pay" feature was actually auto paying. : \

27 Dec 2012 05:27 PM

Yes, I remember the BOINC story, but that's a once-in-a-blue-moon event, and also potentially poses some quite serious privacy and security issues.  We don't yet have a policy on such matters; we probably should...

As for the original question: Our ability to do good with Charity Engine is a function of the number of people who participate.  And every added bit of complexity costs us some number of users who were right at the edge of their comfort zones, tech-wise.  So for now I think display of IPs is a bit outside the core.  Hope that doesn't dampen your enthusiasm; and many thanks for your interest & participation.