Project

NG
Nicholas Goss ID: 57 Posts: 41
06 Nov 2012 05:01 PM

I'm doing a project for school that includes a PowerPoint. I was wondering two things. One is there anyway to do similar to what you did for malaria@home with the 35 years, but over all of the projects? Also two is there anything that you would like for me to put into the PowerPoint?

Mark McA ID: 179 Posts: 224
06 Nov 2012 10:02 PM

Hi Nick,

Sure, we can help with some stats. Drop me an email (mark at charity engine). 

NG
08 Nov 2012 04:06 PM

I sent you a email. Did u get it?

08 Nov 2012 04:13 PM

Got it now! Was in the spam folder...

NG
14 Nov 2012 02:33 AM

I have finally finished my project and I must say the stats are quite amazing. If the estimated 75 million people who would want to join charity engine did and even I they only had one computer each the prize draw would be about 50 million for charity and 50 million for the prize draw... Everyday. That's before you add in all the android and possibly apple devices.

14 Nov 2012 03:12 PM

I assume you're referring to David Anderson's quote from this BBC article on Charity Engine? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17995888

That's 75m people who would donate spare computing just for science. We think converting the spare computing into cash prizes and charity donations has even more potential. 

Hold on with those $50m stats though...! We sell the computing time for approx 1c per core/hour (cheaper than anything else out there), but this price will keep dropping as CPUs increase in core counts.

Right now, the average PC has three cores and is online for 5 hours per day. That's 15c per day it can earn. Multiply by 75m = just over $11m per day.

Still, we could just make it a $100m draw every other week. Or a $1Bn prize draw three times per year... 

NG
14 Nov 2012 05:02 PM

So, using that math my 6 core running an average of close to 20 hours would make $1.20 per day?

14 Nov 2012 05:35 PM

It's less in practice. The 1c per hour figure is what it CAN earn (ie. running the CPU at 100%, which we don't do, and also having constant work for it).

Charity Engine's default setting only adds a few percent to the CPU's power draw - but that's enough to bring the CPU up to a (very useful) 60% active. It's the efficiency sweet spot. To take it from 60% - 100% nearly doubles the power draw, though.

The rule of thumb: +100W to one idle PC = twice the computing. +10W each to 10 idle PCs = 5x-6x more computing. No contest.

But... we don't get the full 60%. Regular home and office use takes a little bit, CE only gets the leftovers. And if the the user is already using 60% CPU or more, CE shuts down. We only take whatever's spare up to 60%, and nothing past that.

The amount each machine can earn will always decrease over time because so many more CPUs and GPUs are being made. Eventually we'll have CPUs in Coke cans, powering disposable flexible displays in place of the logo...

NG
15 Nov 2012 05:36 PM

thank you for the clarification. And I'm just wishing I had access to the new intel 48-core expandable processor. Oh well, I'm sure it will be commercial level soon enough.