Multiple computer activity status showing incorrectly

VorTechS ID: 2613 Posts: 3
31 Oct 2012 12:24 PM

Hi,

I've been using Charity Engine for a while now, on a single machine at my workplace.  In order to spice things up a bit, I added a second machine to the mix (a server that I managed to get the client working on with no problems, that doesn't do a lot in general through the day).

However, when I have a look at the 'More Stats' option on the website to check on the activity, my core machine is showing activity of '2 months ago', even though it's been constantly active.

There is also a 3rd machine, which is inactive as this is a machine from my old workplace where the client was removed/de-activated.

Why is my core machine showing no activity, even though it's merrily chugging away ... ?

Matt ID: 44 Posts: 293
31 Oct 2012 03:10 PM

Hi -- just curious, what steps did you take to add the additional machine(s)?

31 Oct 2012 03:35 PM

Logged into the site, downloaded the software - and let that do the rest.

When it came to the server, I think I used the same installer from the machine that is now not showing activity on the website, but set it to run in a desktop compatibility mode.  (And so it installed, and runs fine subsequently!)

I doubt that the installer used would have any significance on this though?

Jonathan Brier ID: 159 Posts: 112
01 Nov 2012 05:03 AM

Hi VorTechS,

We advise not to reuse the same installer as the computer it is used on will not be automatically attach to the account since the credentials are not set in the installer, but upon download.  Installation goes much smoother when downloading and installing straight from charityengine.com.

On to your issue... lets get down to the root of this issue.

Is the core computer a Windows or Mac computer?  You are saying that the core machine (the 1st comptuer) is constantly active.  Do you mean activly returning results or turned on no referring to the credits?  If you meant returning results does the number match that of the website?

If you would like me to take a look at the numbers you can submit screenshots of the more stats page and of the Charity Engine install as a reply to the email I send after you submit the contact us form on www.charityengine.com/contact

You could use the syncronise with Charity Engine under the advanced view tools to see if it updates the website contact.  If you do not see this option under the advanced view tools your account may not be attached.  You could reinstall using a fresh download from the CharityEngine.com site or you can manually detach your Charity Engine account and reattach to charityengine.com as account manager using the email and password you use to login to your charityengine.com account.  Doing so should initiate a connection with our site and update the last activity.  

If the above instructions do not resolve the stats it may be a display issue on our side... all stats would be there... just not updating the website display properly.

The 3rd machine if inactive should still show up in the More Stats section for now as we do not yet have a hide function for inactive computers.

Let me know if you need clarification or try the above.

01 Nov 2012 08:20 AM

Sorry I guess I should have been a lot clearer.  Obviously because the latest addition to my account is a Windows Server, it was not possible to use the normal download link because it is 'not supported', which ultimately bears no resemblence to the issue.

The two active machines are 'DevServer' (Windows Server 2008 Standard / SP1) and 'MJC35217' (Windows 7 Professional / SP1).

The 'More stats' page does not give you any indication as to points allocated per machine in the current timeframe or historically (would be good if it did though!)... all I see is:

NameStatusLast activityWork ratio
 DevServer 48 minutes ago17.3%
 MJC35217 2 months ago35.9%
 DEV-PC-G3-PC 3 months ago46.8%

On the boinc client itself, I can see through the messages that the client is downloading and uploading results daily.  I do not see a 'synchronize' option though so it does sound as though it is not linked to an account.

I'll try a new download on the Windows 7 machine to see what happens.  (I guess, it will disconnect the other machine, but after that I'll try and download a client from that machine itself running in compatability mode).