Will Charity Engine show up as a project in BOINC?

Mark Vang ID: 3337 Posts: 3
21 Aug 2012 12:40 AM

Hello,

I was originally using BAM! and am now attached to the Charity Engine. It looks like my computer has connected properly, I can see it on my account at CE. Is Charity Engine supposed to be added as a project in the BOINC Project Manager?

I've synchronized with CE a few times now and no new projects or tasks have been added.

Looking forward to crunching some CE projects!

Jonathan Brier ID: 159 Posts: 112
21 Aug 2012 02:10 AM

Hi Mark,

I've submitted a help ticket to the development team to investigate further as I verified this behavior.  Charity Engine will appear as a project in your software program when it attaches.  We will see what is going on here.

Meanwhile if you had not already joined Einstein@home, malariacontrol.net, or rosetta@home you would be attached to these and they too generate entries as they process tasks.  Though as a BOINC participant you have to make a choice to keep old accounts or gain entries... there is no keep and gain entries option at this time. See the FAQ: http://www.charityengine.com/node/792

21 Aug 2012 02:27 AM

Hello Jonathan,

I've got pre-existing accounts for Einstein@home, malariacontrol.net and Rosetta@home so I'm going to stick with those.

I've checked messages and BOINC says "Account Manager Contact Succeded".

I'll keep an eye on it and see if your dev team gets a fix in.

Thanks.

S
Simon ID: 1264 Posts: 45
21 Aug 2012 11:37 AM

but I have never had any rosetta@home wu's come in, what is going on ? i don't have ce as a project actually , it dissapered, isn't ce holding together or something ?

21 Aug 2012 12:10 PM

Simon,

CE is holding together just fine.  We have temorarally disabled rosetta@home to retain a high user experience level while we investigate why some people were seeing tasks not stopping when they should and consuming a lot of memory.

We are also looking into the few reports of CE not attaching to some computers.  It should appear soon.

S
Simon ID: 1264 Posts: 45
21 Aug 2012 12:13 PM

CE is not attached to any of several PC's I run it on, so it is not a platform problem. I am only running malaria and einstein. I like rosetta as it is of use to the wider medical science field and not just one specific illness.

21 Aug 2012 12:19 PM

I have a help ticket in with our developers who should be looking into the no CE attachment asap.  The current behavior of running einstein and marliacontrol is expected when rosetta is not enabled, but CE should be there too.  We would like to reenable rosetta as soon as possible too and hope to have CE join in too... it is what keep us funded. :)

25 Aug 2012 01:39 AM

Is there any update on this? I'm still not attached to CE.

25 Aug 2012 02:34 PM

Yes, I have your answer.  

Short Answer: The Charity Engine (CE) project will return when there is work to be completed and will attach automatically as long as your computer stay connected to CE as an account manager.  CE is removed when there is no work and returns when there is work to minimize confusion of non BOINC participants due to the intermittant work CE has been providing.

Long Answer: Charity Engine has changed the way it handles the Charity Engine project.  Previously CE left the CE project  attached all the time, but there was confusion with participants not recieving work from the projet.  The decision was made to remove the project when not in operation to mitigate the confusion.  

The target users of will remain attached to CE as their account mangers and need to be as not all CE tasks will be submitted through the CE project.  In the future we may be adding aditional projects that would be CE2 or other name scheme that would also need to be attached to user accounts.  Only those attached to CE as an account manger will know when the new CE projects attach.  This is the design for management and scaling of CE to other compnaies.  This the current design, but as we scale we may find other designs work better.