Problem linking a Linux computer

Patrick Gallagher ID: 3240 Posts: 4
03 Aug 2012 12:29 AM

Hi I have managed to connect 3 computers to my account. I decided to change the operting system, on my main machine,  from ubuntu 12.04 32 bit to the 64 bit version.I reinstalled Boinc and tried connecting to Chartity engines project manager. On my machine it seemed to have worked, (ie tasks running),  however the web site here is saying my main computer hasnt been in contact for 27 hours now. I disconnected then reconnected to Chartity engine and still no change. My other two machines are doing fine. What have i missed.

andrew.m ID: 3139 Posts: 5
03 Aug 2012 02:53 PM

Have you run a synchronize via BOINC Manager?

Open the Messages tab and go to Tools, Synchronize with Charity Engine (after attaching of course) and you should see something like the following appear in messages:

Fri 03 Aug 2012 10:52:03 AM EDT Fetching configuration file from http://www.charityengine.com/get_project_config.php

Fri 03 Aug 2012 10:52:07 AM EDT Contacting account manager at http://www.charityengine.com/

Fri 03 Aug 2012 10:52:08 AM EDT Account manager contact succeeded

If you get something different, highlight those messages and choose the copy selected messages button on the left and paste those in your reply.

03 Aug 2012 10:13 PM

Hello thank you for your reply. Yeah i done the boinc manager> advanced view> sync with charty engine. It all goes fine, it tells me to hit the finish button and the projects are running. The issue is the CE site is telling me my main computer is not in contact with it. I am lost for what to do. I have run the sync a few times but still no contact with the site.

I upgraded to a 64 bit Ubuntu version thinking it would be faster and now the CE page is saying the computer has been out of contact for two days now. The projects are running. Boinc is working. 

I am on the verge of disconnecting from CE and just running boinc. That way i will still be doing the work for the projects.

04 Aug 2012 09:48 PM

Okay i managed to solve my issue. I had to change the name of my computer, as i had linked it before, under the same name to the CE web site. Its all up and running again. As for Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit it does appear to be faster than the 32 bit version. Happy days.

Matt ID: 44 Posts: 293
05 Aug 2012 04:40 PM

Just an FYI -- the desktop software is a sort of "process manager".  

IE, there is an app for malariacontrol, and an app for einstein@home, and apps for misc CE corporate clients (*the ones which generate revenues for the prize draw and charity payments).  And the CE/BOINC desktop app is just a sort of "plumbing" and "traffic cop": speed of this really isn't that important, it does not limit the computing tasks.

05 Aug 2012 04:44 PM

You'll automatically get best-possible apps (32 or 64 bit) for the actual compute work regardless of the speed of your desktop manager: i.e., you can get 64 bit tasks even if your desktop manager is 32 bit...  (*this is why you saw no discerable change on update to a faster manager.)

14 Aug 2012 03:52 PM

Thanks Matt for the advice and info. All is running fine now. I love Linux and Ubuntu. I Have been running Linux ( Ubuntu) now for Two years and hand on heart i do not miss windows at all. The Linux Mint team also make a fantastic operating system. All of these run Boinc and CE no problem.

15 Aug 2012 02:02 PM

Great; happy computing...