FiND@Home .. No Tasks Available ..

Graham Jenkins ID: 1626 Posts: 160
16 Jun 2016 10:34 PM

I keep seeing the following in my logs; any idea why this is happening?

[http://findah.ucd.ie/] Requesting new tasks for CPU

[FiND@Home] Project has no tasks available

Matt ID: 44 Posts: 293
17 Jun 2016 12:12 AM

I believe this is more or less as described in the log: that project has no work to do at the moment.

17 Jun 2016 07:50 AM

It's been that way for a couple of months! The findah.ucd.ie website seems to indicate that there have been no users in the last 24 hours. Perhaps we should contact whoever is responsible at FindAH ..

17 Jun 2016 02:07 PM

That's correct: there has been no work at that project for a while.  But your device should be working on other projects, so remaining attached to F@H should be of no consequence; and there will be more good research to process from them soon.

DocH ID: 526372 Posts: 77
17 Jul 2016 12:04 AM

I Sure hope the massive computing power of CE can be put to work fighting malaria again SOON!

In 2015, there were 214 million cases of malaria worldwide.

Malaria seems particularity good at developing resistance to the medications used to treat it, and resistance is now common against all classes of antimalarial drugs apart from artemisinins.

So for a bit it seemed that there was a "Killer" for the killer called malaria, but now malaria strains found on the Cambodia–Thailand border are resistant to combination therapies that include artemisinins, and are extremely difficult to treat.

All this may seem kind of dry and clinical to most folks, but trust Me, if You have ever had malaria, it becomes Very Personal and Real!

The W.H.O and Loma Linda Univ. sent My Epidemiologist Mother to West Africa in the late 1970's and Our Family contracted malaria.

Certain strains can hang around Your body for 20+ years and when One's immunity is down...say You have the flu,etc, or even in some cases it seems extreme physical activity,  malaria likes to pile in as well.

Grim stuff...I remember after climbing My Adams in Wa. State and about 3 days after the climb I became so sick that IV anti-malaria's were used. And this was 10+ years after the initial infection by mosquito in Africa.

So, needless to say, I am sure hoping someone provides Us CE crunchers some work to help stamp out the beastie, malaria!!

Ed

18 Jul 2016 05:08 PM

Thanks, Ed.  Please do stay tuned -- and thanks for your interest & support -- 

DocH ID: 526372 Posts: 77
18 Jul 2016 09:25 PM

Thank-You Matt!

That should have read Mt. Adams, not My Adams!!

It is a wee hill of about 12,281 ft (3,743 m), and I did My best to reach the tip-top, but about 1100 feet short of the top, I ran outta o steam and had to enjoy the view from that height!

Mt Adams is part of a string of volcanic "Cones" , and I am very Glad it was Mt St Helens to the NE that blew in 1980 and not  Mt Adams I was climbing that vented!

I like this description of Mt Adams:  "potentially active stratovolcano in the Cascade Range."

As long as it stays just "potentially active, folks should be OK there.

I ws born and grew up in the shadow of that wee hill and still have Family in the area, and we well remember when a Sister Mt, Saint Helens blew.....What an experience!!

Ed

18 Jul 2016 09:46 PM

Is there another malaria-related project we could support?

Mark McA ID: 179 Posts: 224
19 Jul 2016 09:53 AM

Hi Graham,

Projects will chop and change all the time. The whole point of CE is that it doesn't matter what projects are running though, they are all helping good causes.

Cheers,

Mark