AVG being a pain

G
Graham ID: 2422 Posts: 27
03 Dec 2013 08:22 PM

AVG keeps deleting ce2.exe and gives a message of:

IDP.Program.D1B0A5C0

describing it as "Identity Protection".  I have already kicked Kaspersky, Norton, and McCaffee off my computers as being untrustworthy and false flagging programs I know to be safe.

Just before I restore them, however, - better safe than sorry - have there been any other reports of this problem?

Dennis Nawrot ID: 6360 Posts: 32
03 Dec 2013 10:06 PM

Try AVIRA Free Antivirus.

Don't know if it contains the same package of features, but in germany it's known as a very reliable AV program. We use the commercial version of it in our company.

Another alternative would be to use the BOINC Client instead of the CE Client. Than you can go on as described here in the FAQ (adding LINUX computers).

I've noticed no problems on my BOINC running windows machines depending AV/Charity Engine so far.

G
03 Dec 2013 10:25 PM

Thanks very much.  I will give Avira a try in a few days - a bit busy at present.  I already have BOINC proper running on a Linux Box (well old laptop really) so it shouldn't be too difficult on Windows.. 

Mark McA ID: 179 Posts: 224
03 Dec 2013 10:54 PM

Hi Graham,

Yes, we know about this. A few AVs give a false positive for ce2, we're in the process of getting it whitelisted. It won't help to switch to regular BOINC, but a different AV might.

Personally, I use Ad-aware and Malwarebytes. Ad-aware also flags ce2 wrongly at the moment, but at least it allows you to overrule it. I'm told AVG doesn't.

Cheers,

Mark

G
03 Dec 2013 11:36 PM

Thank you Mark.

I have managed to pursuade AVG to restore the programs back to the Appdata section but whether it will try and remove them again I don't know.  I will switch AV when I have a bit more time.

Graham

Dennis Nawrot ID: 6360 Posts: 32
04 Dec 2013 06:20 AM

"It won't help to switch to regular BOINC, but a different AV might."

He could avoid the problem with using BOINC, but it won't fix his problem with the CE client directly, sure.

CV
Carlos Velazquez ID: 895 Posts: 1
19 Mar 2014 05:09 PM

Mark,

I started getting notices from Shavlik Protect that a trojan was detected and quarantined.  It started on Feb 4th and has been on going since.  The file it references is ce5-0013_windows_x86_64.exe and tags it as Trojan.Win32.Generic!BT.  Another false positive?

Carlos

Mark McA ID: 179 Posts: 224
19 Mar 2014 05:40 PM

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the report. Yup, it is a false positive.

Anything beginning with "ce[number]-..." is a Charity Engine task which can be safely ignored. The way Berkeley Uni designed the BOINC software, even we cannot use it to send malware.

Cheers,

Mark